In Spanish classes this week we are learning about this Mexican holiday, how it is celebrated, and comparing it to holidays we celebrate here in the United States. We will also be making Calaveras de Azucar (Sugar Skulls) in the upper grades, and Mascaras de Calaveras (Skull masks) in the younger grades, after learning about how these items are used in the celebration.
If you would like more information about the holiday, or if you want to continue the exploration we began in class, try some of these links below!
- Día de los Muertos at AZ Central (Lots of information!)
- Explore a Día de los Muertos altar in Mexico
- Sugar Skulls recipes, directions, and supplies (This is where I got my molds)
- Throw a Día de los Muertos party!
- Online Calavera Coloring Sheets
- Cook up some Pan de Muerto (Bread of the Dead) or other holiday recipes.